Thursday, July 16, 2009

Jamaica: Food Adventures: Sushi!


I have to admit, I had my reservations about sushi in Jamaica and it never alleviated them any when Lesley pulled into Loshusan Mall’s parking lot and said, “the place is in the supermarket you hear.” Conjured in my mind was something akin to the sushi case beside the fish in Publix  (not that there is anything wrong with these sushi bars, but I had the other kind in mind). Alas dear friends, I was pleasantly surprised. So backtrack likkle bit. We had just gone to look at the reception venue for Lesley and Kevin’s wedding, got back home, and walked into the house when I started thinking about what we could eat in those hours that were two early for dinner, but too late for lunch. I said out loud “sushi”? And my ever-obliging BFF (I have 4) says “why you never say dat when we were still on the road? Cho.” With that we were back in the car headed for Barbican.

I have to admit something I am not entirely proud of, but I will anyway; confession is good for the soul yes? Loshusan Mall houses a supermarket, pharmacy, Häagen-Dazs ice cream shop and the Acropolis gaming lounge among other stores. It wasn’t so odd to be pulling into its parking lot for sushi. Of course Lesley’s announcement that the supermarket was where the place was, only made my expectations of sushi in Jamaica fall lower. It didn’t help that when we got to the corner that housed the sushi bar (next to the bakery), the folks behind the counter, preparing the food, weren’t … well … Japanese. There, I said it. Shameful, I know. This is the thing of which I am not proud. I problematically stereotyped. Lesley assured me though, that this was the first time she had been there and there weren’t Japanese sushi chefs, and in fact the proprietors (who were nowhere to be seen) were also Japanese.

Shameful stereotypical biases aside thought, we ordered 3 rolls to share: 2 rainbow, and one Philadelphia roll (not pictured).  

(Rainbow roll: crab & asparagus inside, topped with avocado, shrimp, salmon, or tuna)

I don’t think I have to tell you I was pleasantly surprised. As in, this little supermarket sushi bar in Jamaica ranks up there with my favorite South Florida spots (Akashi and Sushi Rock ). It was so good the good doctor overate (not me, the MD), and folks, she never overeats (the PhD is guilty of overeating sometimes). Never mind that their selection of raw rolls is a little limited. That’s understandable given that many of us Jamaicans nah eat no raw fish. Their cooked roll section is pretty impressive, however. Its proprietors seem to know the tastes of their clientele (there’s even a Hellshire roll), and I think that’s a good sign for happy customers. Never mind also that its tucked in the corner of a supermarket; the seating is comfy, quiet, quaint and um, the prices? Mek a break it down for you. On our first visit, those three rolls, a sprite and a bottle of Wata came up to roughly J$2430, that came up as US$27 on my credit card statement. Not bad for sushi that good. I mean it nuh ordinary you know. If you taste a piece of salmon and sushi, it is primo enough to tell which is which with your eyes closed.

We did go back to Katana Express after another wedding related errand (I discovered the name on my credit card bill). We tried the third raw roll we didn’t have the weekend before, spicy tuna roll, along with rainbow roll and an order of shumai (steamed shrimp dumplings).

(Spicy tuna, rainbow roll, & shumai)

Lightning struck twice and it was as good the second time as it was the first time. And I really like the spicy tuna roll.

(Spicy tuna roll)

There were Japanese chefs this time, but I didn’t care as much, though we did get a promise from the owner (who was also there, but busy with book keeping) that next time, she would make something new for us to try. Lesley says she usually does this whenever she goes. We figure she takes the opportunity to introduce new things that could be added to an ever-expanding menu.  


I probably wont be there the next time, but if you are in Kingston, go check out Katana Express. It promises to please your palate, whatever you prefer, raw or cooked. Being next door to the bakery means you also don't have to travel too far for dessert. We went two weekends in a row, so that should let you know, sushi spot in Loshusan supermarket eat well good.

1 comment: